a question about RedHat 9.0 upgrade

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jan 16 20:51:03 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 14:23, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> > It's just as stable or unstable as RH-9.
> > Think of it as RH-10, and you won't be far wrong.
>
> Not quite.  The Fedora update cycle is "4-6 months" with update lifetime
> "2-3 months after next release" versus "12-18 months" and "At least 5
> years" for RHEL according to http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html.

> This is MUCH more dynamic than any past Red Hat release/update schedule,
> and unlike RH-9 or RHm.n you do not have any option to purchase Red Hat
> support.  WBEL, Tao, or other RHEL-derived community-supported distros
> have the same short-coming in support, but at least will be tracking a
> more stable/supported base.

I assume the poster knew about RHEL,
so presumably he doesn't want to pay for support.
The support you got with RH-9 without special payment
was more or less useless, in my experience.
(I asked a couple of questions during my month's free support,
and the responses I got were not helpful.)

My recollection is that some RH distributions
only lasted 6 months or so before a new distribution came out,
so 4-6 months is not that different.

Anyway, in my opinion the poster should go ahead
and upgrade to Fedora-1.
One thing is certain, there is no lack of advice
if he/she meets any problems.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366