Ram Question

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sat Jan 17 00:46:04 UTC 2004

>I installed Fedora Core on my PC at home and it is using almost all of>.the
Ram that my PC
>has (using about 240mb of 256mb).  I have tried
>selecting all packages and I have also tried doing the default Desktop
>install but both end up taking almost all of my ram when the PC is doing
>nothing.  I have installed other Linux distros and they only took around
>96MB when running KDE idle. =20
>=20
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can free up some RAM?
>=20

I would examine what's running with redhat-config-services and see what I
could turn off.  You likely are running a variety of daemons by default that
you don't use.  For example, if you have an ACPI machine, you do not need
apmd.  You don't need sendmail unless you run a mail server.  There are
several others that slip my mind now that you may be able to do without.
The GUI tool gives a short explanation of the services so you can understand
what they do.

Erik