shutdown & kernel

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sat Jan 17 16:31:40 UTC 2004

John Gray wrote:

> Sorry if this is double post, but I can' t locate my original on any
> of the emails.
>
> How do I get the computer to switch off when I select shutdown?

 This is a power-management issue.  If your system is not turning off when
you shutdown (and you are ending with the "Power down" output), my guess is
that you have an ACPI system and it's not configured properly.

Determine if you have a system that uses APM or ACPI, and check the archives
for help in setting up ACPI if you need it.  I've never had to diddle with
APM, it seems to work "out of the box" on every system I've tried.

I had the same issue and when I got power-management working, shutdown was
correct.

> How do I remove the non existent kernel choices from the boot loader
> list, or at least set the default kernel?
> When I do "rpm -q kernel" I only get the current kernel, but in the
> boot loader list I have two previous kernels.

Try

rpm -e <exact-name-of-kernel-package-to-remove>

as root.

The packages for old kernels are probably still around, but you are not
booting them.  If the kernels are known to be gone (maybe someone forcibly
deleted them), you have to edit grub.conf.

TYPE CAREFULLY.  Type the wrong revision number and you will wipe out the
wrong kernel.

Keep at least one back-rev kernel around.  If you have problems with a new
kernel, or you break something accidentally, the old kernel can save you
grief.

> Thanks
>
> John

Good luck.   Erik