CPU Overload with kernels 2149 & 2154 and ALSA...

Mike Becker k3ant at ptd.net
Sun Jan 18 01:38:43 UTC 2004

For what it's worth...

I have FC1 installed on a Gateway M500 laptop.  When the kernel versions
2149 and 2154 were installed all went as expected until ALSA was
installed.  Originally, I rebuilt kernel-module-alsa using
alsa-driver-1.0.1-2.fr.src.rpm for version 2149 and 2154 but I also
tried the freshrpms kernel-module-alsa for 2149 with the same results.
Version 2154 has been used with my rebuild only.  The command used to
rebuild the module is:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 alsa-driver-1.0.1-2.fr.src.rpm

As I indicate, both versions work just fine until their respective ALSA
module is installed.  Then, just after a reboot and login a message is
displayed stating that a CPU overload has occurred and the sound server
is being shut down.  I also have gkrellm running and according to it,
the CPU is indeed running at 100%, until I clear the message - then the
CPU usage drops down to just a couple of percent.

As I'm no programmer I have no idea as to what is happening here.  I'm
just reporting on what is occurring with FC1 on this laptop.  BTW,
kernel version 2140 works just fine with alsa...

Maybe I should be posting a bug at Bugzilla on these two kernels but I
just wanted to get the info out to the community in general...

Mike