How to increase color depth on an Intel 845GL-based system

Adam L. Klein alklein at integraonline.com
Sun Jan 18 15:56:12 UTC 2004

|--------
|I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 running Dell's BIOS version A23.  If it
matters
|it's a USA machine (in case they alter the innards by market).  I
know that
|BIOS A26 is available, but I haven't upgraded.  Dell's web site
doesn't say
|anything about video fixes in A26.
|
|If anyone has an idea that might help, I'd be grateful.  I want to do
|presentations on this machine, and 256 colors look really ugly.
|
|Thanks  Erik

Erik:

I've worked on a number of Dell laptops and desktops with the shared
video memory issue, especially with RedHat (8, 9 and AS 2.1).  The
solution is definitely a BIOS update.  Once installed, bump up the
shared memory as high as you can (at least 8MB - that's what it was on
the OptiPlex machines) and X should be fine.

Adam Klein

- --
Adam L. Klein
<alklein at integraonline dot com>