Mozilla upgrade problem

Gertjan Vinkesteijn gertjan at gershwin.xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 19 02:17:38 UTC 2004

Neil B. Cohen wrote:

>Color me dense, but I'm missing something - maybe someone can point me
>in the right direction. I decided to install Mozilla 1.6. The
>documentation says to remove earlier versions - I have 1.5 installed
>with a set of RPM files from FC1. But I can't remove those RPMS - there
>are dependencies on open-office, gaim etc.
>
>Just for the heck of it, I went ahead and installed 1.6 - and it does
>install. But I still can't get rid of 1.5...
>
>Questions:
>
>1) Should I be able to delete 1.5 without removing other applications or
>is mozilla tied that closely to other pieces of software?
>
>2) Have I completely screwed up my system by having multiple instances
>of mozilla wholly or partially installed?
>
>I looked at some bug reports but I did not see anything related to this
>- but I may well have missed something.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>nbc

Dear Neil,

There is a way to get rid of the old version, but that is risky.
rpm -e --nodeps mozilla*
I leave the new mozilla in /usr/local/mozilla and forget about the old
one. I also made a symbolic link from /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla ->
/usr/local/bin/mozilla. Still fighting to get the right Java plugin, but
that is something else.

--
peace now, that is good for all of us
http://gershwin.xs4all.nl