Enterprise Linux Server

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 19 15:07:02 UTC 2004

Jeremy Kruer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read that Fedora is more of a development version of Linux and is
> not stable enough to run as an enterprise server.

I would say its stable enough but the issue you have to face is the
short release cycle, can you take your server offiline to perform an
upgrade every 4-6 months??

This issue may be addressed by the Fedora-Legacy project thet is
starting up but as yet its still in its infancy..

> If this is true, does anyone have any suggestions for a good stable
> version of Linux that would be appropriate for an enterprise server? I
> have read a couple people mention www.whiteboxlinux.org
> <http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/> does anyone have any experience with
> this? Were would I be able to go for support, I did not see any
> mailing lists with it.

There are lists for Whitebox.. Another one you may want to look at is
taolinux.org, it seems they have been running a little longer and looks
more jacked up.. I haven't used either so i can't comment on which is
better..

> What are other people using? I don’t want to pay thousands of dollars
> for RHEL, but I want something that would be stable enough for the
> enterprise environment. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I have the same issues, I think the prices for RHEL are a little high..
You could almost considder changing back to Windows at the prices that
are being asked for an RHEL based server (NOTE: This is my opinion,
others are welcome to differ but I don't really want to hear about it)..

I have started looking at other alternatives for my servers like Trustix
Secure Linux and maybe even Gentoo..

For a workstation I would have to say Fedora is one of the best distro's
around..

Later..