ATI Radeon Pro, X11, system lockup

Thomas Reed treed at lavergne.org
Mon Jan 19 18:29:26 UTC 2004

Don Levey wrote:

>I've checked the archives, and not found anything useful (just two hits
>searching on "Radeon 9600 Pro"), so if this has been covered before I
>apologise.
>
>I have the above-mentioned card, and am having a devil of a time getting
>it to work properly.  When selecting the driver that comes with FC1 for
>Radeon 9600 Pro, my system locks up hard during the login process.
>Normally I'm able to enter username/password, but it freezes before
>getting the desktop.  If I try to specifically select a desktop
>environment (Gnome, KDE), I get a lockup in that dialog itself.
>
>As I had done a number of things immediately before this first happened,
>I did not immediately realise that it was the video driver itself which
>had done this.  A fortunately-timed kudzu run somehow removed the Radeon
>driver and reinstalled the generic VESA, at which point things worked
>again.
>
>The relevant portions of the /etc/X11/XF86Config file follow:
>
>	Section "Device"
>		Identifier  "Videocard0"
>		Driver      "vesa"
>		VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>		BoardName   "VESA driver (generic)"
>	EndSection
>
>	#Section "Device"
>	#	Identifier  "Videocard0"
>	#	Driver      "radeon"
>	#	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>	#	BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9600 Pro"
>	#EndSection
>
>As you can see, I commented out the offending portion but kept it in for
>historical purposes.
>
>The ATI website has a driver for this board, one for each of the
>following versions of XFree86: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3.  It appears I am using
>4.3, so I downloaded the corresponding RPM.  Attempting to install the
>RPM, however, gives the following error:
>	rpm -Uvh fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm
>	Preparing...  ########################################### [100%]
>        file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of
>		fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0 conflicts with file from package
>		XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-42
>
>I was not able to find anything on their website to address this issue.
>I've heard somewhere that I shouldn't bother with the ATI-supplied
>drivers in any event, so perhaps I'm not too heartbroken.  However,
>checking up on the above I don't understand the conflict; yum tells me
>that my XFree86-Mesa-libGL is both installed and the latest version.
>
>Any thoughts on how to resolve this, and/or pointers to where I might
>look?  I'd hate to think that I need to boot into Windows to get better
>video playback, etc, not to mention the other features this card
>supports.
>
>Thanks for your time,
> -Don

I have a 9700 pro and had a difficult time getting it to come together.
I did get it working and posted a short explanation of my procedure over
at linuxquestions.org.  This may help someone get their radeon product
working
http://linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116223

Thomas