update issues

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Jan 19 19:45:57 UTC 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 09:33 pm, Michael Kearey wrote:
> Richard Welty wrote:
> > 2) how does yum handle postgresql updates? updating postgresql
> > on major releases (say, 7.3->7.4) is a manual process, i don't want
> > anything automated breaking DB installations in the early hours of
> > the morning. is there a way to tell it not to update certain software?

> I would expect the postgreSQL packagers to be completely aware of
> major version upgrades and the related cautions. I don't know exactly
> how they would handle it, but I am sure it won't be a problem.

As the upstream RPM packager, I can tell you that, while I am very aware of
the issues, preventing an upgrade without failing out the install of the
whole OS is not trivial.  It should be as simple as:
Conflicts: {previous version}
But that doesn't work due to a bug in RPM.

And it IS a problem.  I am working on the solution, but haven't had time to do
it up properly.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology