ATI Radeon Pro, X11, system lockup

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Mon Jan 19 20:36:35 UTC 2004

fedora-list-admin at redhat.com wrote:
>>> display: :0.0  screen: 0
>>> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
>>> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
>>> OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
>>>
>>> -Don
>>>

>> There's a major problem - those mesa drivers need to go away.  Look
>> over the thread at linuxquestions.org that I posted before and see if
>> there are any of those steps you did not complete.  The full install
>> step is not necessary, just something I did out of frustration.
>> (http://linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116223).
>>

> Just struck me - of course you have the mesa drivers loaded, according
> to you XFreeconfig, the radeon drivers are commented out, i assume to
> relieve the lockup issue you were having.  Earlier I saw you had tried
> to install the fire gl drivers and got the error about a conflict with
> mesa, try to install the firegl drivers rpm with the --force option,
> then run the fglrxconfig to create a new XFreeconfig file for you (or
> do it manually)...that should help you get some meaningful
> information in your XFree Error log if there is in fact still a
> problem.  For me with the 9700 pro (only 2D support provided by
> fedora) things didn't really start to click until after a kernel
> recompile with agpart and radeon as loadable modules.  Unfortunately
> I have to work from memory here as the box I did this on was for a
> friend and I don't have ready access to it.

I'm assuming that the "you" in your post is me, as I was having lockup
problems.

I don't recall trying to install firegl drivers; the XF86Config file I
posted at the start has been superceded.  The file itself was either deleted
or modified and saved as XF86Config-4.  I removed (rpm -e) the Mesa drivers;
what's there now was installed by the ATI rpm itself.

Considering the number of things I needed to do to get things working, I'd
reluctant to recompile the kernel.  Perhaps I'll try it anyway, both the
current stock version with the modules and a 2.6.1 version.  But it took me
so long to get sound on this machine (whine)...

 -Don