ATI Radeon Pro, X11, system lockup

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jan 19 21:22:03 UTC 2004

Don Levey wrote:

> I'm assuming that the "you" in your post is me, as I was having lockup
> problems.
>
> I don't recall trying to install firegl drivers; the XF86Config file I
> posted at the start has been superceded.  The file itself was either deleted
> or modified and saved as XF86Config-4.  I removed (rpm -e) the Mesa drivers;
> what's there now was installed by the ATI rpm itself.
>
> Considering the number of things I needed to do to get things working, I'd
> reluctant to recompile the kernel.  Perhaps I'll try it anyway, both the
> current stock version with the modules and a 2.6.1 version.  But it took me
> so long to get sound on this machine (whine)...
>
>  -Don

There is a script that makes the module to the source without comiling
the whole kernel.  I cannot remember it at this time as the computer
is at home and I am at work.

The issue I have with ATI is that they provide drivers on their page
and as a user I would assume that they are "full feature" drivers.  If
they aren't I wish ATI would put in large red flashing letters that
they are crap drivers and do not purchase the card.

I purchased a 9600 pro based on ATI having the drivers.  I would have
gone to another manufacturer if I had known that their drivers only
enable part of the card.

I didn't remove the mesa drivers before installing but I wonder if
that is were the I am having a problem.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762