ANOTHER Fedora upgrade tale of woe...

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 00:54:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 00:18, John Nelson wrote:
> All,
>
> I tried to upgrade RH 8 on another of my development machines and, while
> the upgrade claimed it was successful, the upgrade process royally
> messed up in setting up the modules for the kernel. The modules.info
> file is missing from /boot. Also the /lib/modules/e2.4.20-20....
> directory that contains those modules..... wasn't even created so when
> Fedora boots up, I get a cascade of missing modules errors.

2.4.20-20 is the RHL8 kernel, so Fedora wouldn't create it as it knows
nothing about it.

> I have no idea why the modules files are missing, but more importantly
> how can I fix this problem? Reinstalling from the distribution CD just
> skips over everything and doesn't fix the problem. I imagine I'll have
> to patch all of this by hand but don't really know where to start....
> any ideas?

It sounds like something went wrong during the kernel upgrade.
You could just grab the latest update, and rpm -i that, and it should
sort everything out.  (Afterwards, you can rpm -qa | grep kernel and
remove all the other non-working ones).

	Dave