user quota's on multiple drives

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jan 20 06:12:09 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 20.01.2004 schrieb Rick Stevens um 00:57:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Mo, den 19.01.2004 schrieb Simon Bell um 23:48:
> >
> >>My machine has 2 hard drives. Ive set up user quotas on both of them, but it
> >>seems that i have to give each drive a separate quota amount. Is there any
> >>way to make it a general system quota which would encompass both drives so I
> >>could say give each user 200MB of quota across both drives?
> >

> > No, you set quotas per partition where quotas are enabled.
>
> Actually they're per-filesystem.  In a classic UNIX environment, users
> were not allowed to create files anywhere except their home directories
> or in /tmp, so you only had to set up two quotas (and the /tmp one was
> usually quite small).

You are right in correcting me. Quota on a blank partition without
filesystem would not make any sense.

> In this case, however, a sequential LVM of the two filesystems in
> question should work.

Yes, LVM would be a solution. But you have to configure that at install
time, don't you? Moving an existing installation from non LVM to LVM
based is a little bit complex. Do you agree?

I am running quota on /home and /var/spool/mail, both separate
partitions, of course with filesystem (ext3) on it. Mounting both
directories to the same LVM volume using mount bind?

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999