Whitebox Linux

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Jan 20 11:13:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 02:32, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > > The point being made is that if you find a bug in Whitebox
> > Linux, and that bug doesn't get fixed in a RHEL update, and the Whitebox
> > > maintainers can't fix it, Red Hat has no obligation to fix that bug.
>
> True, however, your statement is a bit conflicting. if I find a bug in
> whitebox and that bug is also found in RHEL, then RH will be obligated to
> get it fixed. The only question is _IF_ the bug is only in whitebox and not
> in RHEL. Then what happens?

I can't imagine how the WBEL team could introduce a bug, as they don't
introduce any new code into the distro.  Whitebox is literally a rebuild
of the RHEL SRPMS, with the exception of swapping non-trademarked logos
in place of Red Hat's.  The sole exception being the import of Fedora's
up2date/yum support, IIRC..  It's possible they'll release other
"popular" packages in the context of the project, but only in a
"goodies" image, outside the paramaters of the official releases.  If
something goes wrong with one of these, they simply patch it or pull it
back out.  From my experience, this group is more than qualified to
handle it all.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting