Whitebox Linux

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jan 20 18:32:56 UTC 2004

Hello William,

> The service agreement has nothing to to with the license.

I don't think that is correct. Red Hat can not put limitations on
redistribution of either GPLed binaries or source, because the GPL
grants you those rights. The service agreement would be void if it would
restrict those rights.

What you can not do is buy one copy, distribute it to a dozen machines
and then expect al these machines to be allowed to login to RHN, or to
receive any service for any but the machine on which the original copy
is installed.

However, you could setup your own infrastructure to distribute the
patches that you receive for this single installation.

I do understand that the people distributing Whitebox Linux just want to
avoid any possible legal conflicts, and for that reason rebuild the
binaries and strip out any TM sensitive stuff.

Bye,
Leonard.