RHEL WS?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Tue Jan 20 23:02:12 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Bevan C. Bennett
Sent: 1/20/2004 3:51:55 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: RHEL WS?

> It's incredibly silly to use WS as a server, because you're only paying
> for (and will only receive) support on the non-server portion of it. If
> you want support you should pay for ES. If you don't care about getting
> redhat support you might as well run something free, like Fedora.

Except that you're missing two things.

#1 - There's something to be said for giving Red Hat some money. I like supporting free software. Always have. As it is, aside from being a test-bed with Fedora, I don't know how else I can support them and get a quality close-to-production quality product for use in my home development.

#2 - There's also something to be said for something that's been tested. I'll pay $100 every couple years or every 18 months for something that's been tested by Red Hat. So in that sense WS would work fine for me.

Keep in mind that in MY personal context I'm not talking about using WS as a server for a company or non-profit or something, but rather as a home workstation/development box that happens to require a few servers for the development stuff. Fedora works great for that, it's just a pity there's so much confusion about errata support, security fixes, etc., otherwise I might by Pro Workstation or whatever that product you can buy off the shelf for $100 is.

Finally, I empathize with those out there who do run small businesses/non-profits or who support them. They have to have something to recommend to them and right now the message is muddled and for the time being (unless they make a licensing change) SuSE is probably the product to recommend as it's cheaper and they do support it as a server out of the box.

Preston