Whitebox Linux

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Jan 21 10:30:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 18:28, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 10:58 1/20/2004, you wrote:
> > > I'm not saying it _will_ be done, I'm just saying it _could_ be done.
> > > Just because a program is GPL doesn't mean it has to be free of cost.
> >
> >The problem is that that limitation of the Service Agreement might be of
> >bad faith in light of the spirit of the license of the software they're
> >redistributing.
>
> Bullshit.

As Leonard said, the contract might be void (either some clauses or in
totality depending of the local law) if it adds restriction on licenses.

> Red Hat writes
> their service agreement in such a way as to make life a little more
> difficult for those people.

Let me spell it out for you:
  My boss: 1800 EUR!? That's worse than paying for Windows.

Now, I know he's not doing the math properly, and I suspect he never
bothered to read "Why Free Software? Just look at the numbers!"

However, the purposes we're using GNU/Linux for actually make that
amount quite expensive just to have tech support and updates.

In another email I mentioned paying 1000 EUR per year for timely access
to updates for the distributions we need support for.

> As far as I'm concerned, "bad faith" is some jackass insisting that a
> commercial company dedicate millions of dollars to write better software,
> and then not satisfied with the fact that said commercial company
> distributes their sources publicly and gratis, insists that they provide
> their finished product for $0.00 or be branded "the next Microsoft" because
> "the outside world is slavery" (your quote).

STOP THE PRESS. This quote not only is not exactly right, but also it is
written in a way that seems to intentionally put words in my mouth.
Stop that, I don't allow such a lack of respect.
I don't demand (and never did) that RedHat distribute their product for
gratis, and I laugh in the face of idiots who claim RedHat to be "the
next Microsoft".

> You don't like Red Hat?

I do like and respect RedHat a lot. For a commercial GNU/Linux
distributor they are the most faithful to the Free Software that I know
of. These RHEL policy is something I do not agree with and think it is
harmful even to their business.

It is a DIFFERENT thing, ok?

> But quit spouting neo-Marxist propaganda at the rest of us. Those who agree
> with you already agree with you... those who don't, won't.

Quit spouting straight out lies and OoC quotes that mislead people about
what others said. Also quit putting labels (you obviously know nothing
about) on people (you obviously not know neither understand what they
write).

> Un... freaking... believable.

Yes. Really.

Rui