3D on ATI 9200 128MB RAM

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 21 14:29:06 UTC 2004

Robin Laing wrote:
> Giuseppe Cavallo wrote:

>>> For what it is worth.  I am having similiar problems with an ATI 9600.
>>>  As it is a new computer, I am still trying to resolve this issue.  I
>>> have even tried the ATI drivers but it still doesn't work.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robin Laing
>>

>> I have installed the driver ATI if I launch lsmod is loaded only
>> "fglrx                 189160   0" and I try to load a module agpgart
>> I have the abovr problem. I stay made I google search but now I don't
>> find the key for this solution. If you have some news post this. Bye.
>> - -- [--Saluti Giuseppe Cavallo--/*ICQ=94835351*/--]

This is similar to what I have found.

If agpgart is loaded in shell (before X) and is talking to the agp
card, you should get a
   "agpgart                55492   1"
I have tested this on computers at work as well as mine at home.

At home I get a 0 so I know that my card isn't talking with Linux.

> I am starting to look at my install from scratch.  I did a scan through
> what code I could last night and I do see that things should be
> supported by th ATI driver.
>
> Some place I read that there is a conflict on ASUS motherboards but I
> havn't had any success in finding this again to get details.

Looked at this further last night.  Late last night and found that the
nForce2 chip set isn't supported by the stock kernel.

This is a quote from the NVidia WWW site about the linux driver.

A kernel patch to enable GART support on nForce chip sets is also
supplied, this patch must be merged into the kernel to be used."
Q: Is NVIDIA going to supply a Linux AGPGART driver for nForce
products so that I can use my non-NVIDIA card in 3d accelerated mode
under Linux?

A: The current release of the Linux nForce package contains a kernel
source code patch that will enable GART support using the standard
Linux GART driver.  NVIDIA is working with the maintainers of this
driver to make it available in future versions of the Linux kernel.

So in general.  If your motherboard is newer with an Nforce based
motherboard, you will have to patch the kernel as stated.  The patch
on Nvidia's www site is for 2.4.20 kernel.

Now to learn more about "diff" files.

Hope this helps.

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard for what it is worth.
--
Robin Laing