What does

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 15:13:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 15:01, Paolo wrote:
> Dave Jones said:

> > the 2.4.22 is the base kernel from kernel.org that everything is built
> > on top of.  the 1.2153 is a CVS ident (so gets bumped with every change
>
> Out of curiosity,
> why is the fedora kernel built on top of the 2.4.22 and not on top of the
> latest stable vanilla kernel that is available (2.4.24) ?

Largely historical reasons. It's just the way Red Hat has traditionally
done things for Red Hat Linux. The ideology behind it being that
businesses etc don't want to see big upgrades. As a result, only a
subset of what goes into future upstream releases gets backported, with
an occasional rebase to a higher revision (as RHL7-9 went from
2.4.18->2.4.20 for eg) where the amount of work to rebase outweighs
the amount of work to backport fixes.

2.4.22 was what was stable at the time that FC1 was released.
I continually track 2.4 upstream and backport any important changes to
this tree.  Merging to the latest mainline release takes significant
effort (largely due to the number of patches we have).
Asides from XFS, and some driver updates, the current -testing kernel
should be quite close to the updates in 2.4.25pre.

In FC2, we carry a lot less patches, and I hope to keep it that way.
It should be a lot more feasible in future to track upstream more
closely.

	Dave