ANOTHER Fedora upgrade tale of woe...

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 21 15:44:01 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2004 05:58, John T Nelson wrote:
>
>>THere is only one kernel on this
>>machine... the FC1 kernel. Problem is that the FC1 upgrade didn't install
>>all the module support needed. I can boot into FC1 but get lots of errors
>>complaining about missing modules.
>

> If you upgraded, why don't you have the kernel(s)
> from your previous system?

I think the problem with rpm is the term upgrade and install when it
comes to kernels.  I have made the same mistake of "upgrading" by
using the "U" to upgrade, not following the idea of "installing" the
second kernel using "i" and then using grub to boot to the new kernel.

I did it last month in a rush at christmas time but I had a computer
crash at the same time so more went wrong.

I don't know if it is possible to configure the rpm or kernel files to
give a warning that using the U command could crash the system and not
install all files.  Or to fall back to the install instead of
upgrading the kernel and modules.

--
Robin Laing