Simple, but daunting query -> Post Installation

WA9ALS - John ham_reflectors at wa9als.com
Wed Jan 21 21:52:26 UTC 2004

> Note that the first time you run yum it will need to download package
> headers from your configured repositories. This can take a little time,
> but each header only needs to be downloaded once.

Still newbie - I use yum without problems - even from the default servers.
I have a question though -   What does it mean after it downloads 4-5
headers and then says "nothing to update"?  IOW, what is the significance of
downloading a few headers??  (It HAS downloaded AND installed some updates
when they are available.)  Tnx - John