resizing / partition

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Jan 21 23:06:08 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 21.01.2004 schrieb Lorenzo Prince um 23:42:
> testing  purposes.  I tried using Parted to do this but it gave me a warning
> that said it couldn't cleanly unmount the partition and that I should e2fsck.  I
> stopped at this point, as I was afraid of losing data.

As to my knowledge the tools are not able to resize the mounted root
partition. They have to unmount the partition which is not possible for
the root of a running system.

You should use the first fedora / red hat CD and start the rescue
system. You will be able to resize /dev/hda2.

I used resize2fs and fdisk to resize the filesystem first and then the
partition size. But parted should do it in one step.

It is a dangerous work in theory. I did it several times without any
problems.

Peter