Mirrors and apt-get

John Lagrue admin at moraystudio.com
Wed Jan 21 23:19:51 UTC 2004

I know the subject of mirrors has been gone over time and again on here,
but after a couple of hours' searching I'm getting a bit fed up.

The Fedora webpages give a long list of mirrors, and sure enough many of
them have gigabytes of useful stuff. But how many of them are in a
format that apt-get can use?

I'm in the UK and we have 2 mirrors here:
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/ and
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/

But from what I can gleam of the required directory structure for
apt-get, neither of these two sites is of any use to me. In particular I
want to find (where ever they may be) enough of the XFree86 sources for
me to build kopete, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to
create my sources.list file to work with either of these mirrors.

Can anyone advise on how this should be made to work?