idle HD spin down standby/sleep, laptop mode?? (seagate 7200.7)

Kevin Bowen kevin at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 22 00:30:12 UTC 2004

I'm trying to get fedora to spin down my primary drive when idle, but I
can't seem to get it to go into standby mode. When I use hdparm to put it
into 'sleep' mode, it does sleep very briefly, waking up after a few
seconds. When I use standby mode (either forced or with an -S idle time
auto-standby) it doesn't seem to ever enter standby at all. I'm not exactly
clear on how the new "laptop mode" works into this, but I have tried it both
with and without this mode enabled (including running the laptop-mode.sh
script) with no apparent change in behavior.

My drive is a serial ATA seagate 7200.7, running on a SATA raid card (not
using any raid features) - might this be the source of the problem?

Any ideas appreciated

kevin at ucsd.edu