kernel doesn't compile?

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano_brunetti at idg.it
Thu Jan 22 09:28:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 18:02, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 10:46, Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> > Installed kernel-sources from rpm. Make xconfig as usual, then make dep
> > and make bzImage. When i try, however, to make modules, it doesn't
> > compile. A few error messages that do not mean much to me unfortunately.
> >
> > I can post error messages if needed, but now i wonder if everyboy out
> > here could compile kernel from sources rpm fetched from fedora mirrors.
> >
> > E.
>
> Which kernel version?  Have managed to compile new kernels from Fedora
> rpms in various repositories, but don't know which one is giving you
> heartburn.
>
> Did you "make mrproper" first?  That often helps.

Yes i tried. Neither 'make mrproper' nor 'export CC=gcc32' helped.

> Did you start with a config file for your arch from the configs
> directory or from scratch?

I started from a config for my arch, and added a few things i need on
this system. Namely Appletalk support and some wireless stuff.

> Try "make oldconfig" after "make xconfig" - may identify problems and
> let you fix them.  Rerun "make oldconfig" until it stops complaining.
>
> I use this script "make_linux" (in my /root/bin/) run from the
> kernel-source directory:
[snip]

Nice script. ;)

Now, odd but true, this morning it compiled. I didn't do anything
different from what i did yesterday. Simply zapped once again
kernel-source and installed again. Who knows... :-)

Now it appears to be properly compiled. Even better, apparently i do not
need to configure grub as my new kernel is already present as
nptlcustom. Should i rename into something simply .nptl for the glibc to
work 'properly'?

E.