Replacement for XMMS?

Gertjan Vinkesteijn vinksoft at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 22 11:14:07 UTC 2004

Brian Hartman wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I'm a bit disappointed that Fedora doesn't include XMMS.  I tried to
> install the source, but I need a version of glib that may potentially
> break everything else.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Can I install
> the newer RPM without breaking anything, or is there an MP3 program I
> can use as a substitute for XMMS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

If I look at http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html I see mplayer and
mpg123, mplayer is a very powerful plugin for a lot of things. The play
program works fine for WAV only files.

XMMS is in the Fedora distrubition, but perhaps you are not allowed to
run MP3 files, like in the RedHat distrubution, look then at
http://www.xmms.org there is the same 1.2.8 version what works.

--
peace now, that is good for all of us
http://gershwin.xs4all.nl