RH9 -> FC1 and /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

Sturla Holm Hansen sturlahh at online.no
Thu Jan 22 14:21:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 17:25, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:
> I have been following the threads about converting RH9 (or RH8)
> to FC1 via up2date and decided to give it a try.  All the posts
> center around going into /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and updating
> the server list.  My RH9 system does not have such a file, thus
> I suppose there is some step to be performed first to get a version
> of up2date which uses this file.
>
> Can someone supply me with the missing piece of information.
>
> Thanks a bunch
>
> Bob Styma

Don't use up2date, but I upgraded my system with apt-get, worked great.
Here are the lines I use in /etc/apt/sources.list

# Fedora Core
rpm http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 os updates
rpm-src http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 os updates

# Fedora Extras (formerly "Fedora Linux")
rpm http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable
testing
rpm-src http://download.fedora.us/fedora/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable
testing

# Livna 3rd party packages with questionable (in USA) licenses -- use at
your own risk
rpm http://rpm.livna.org/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable testing
rpm-src http://rpm.livna.org/ fedora/1/i386 stable unstable testing

So, all I had to do was download apt-get from:

ftp://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/apt/redhat/9/en/i386/RPMS.extra/apt-0.5.5cnc5-fr2.i386.rpm

run rpm -ivh apt-0.5.5.cnc5-fr2.i386.rpm

copy the lines above into /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get update
then run apt-get dist-upgrade

Worked fine, hope you're not on dialup though, I am, and it took me 32
hours of download ;)

Good luck

Sturla