Acrobat Reader 8 not working in FC1

Marius Andreiana mandreiana at rdslink.ro
Thu Jan 22 20:16:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 21:31, john.rehmert at speakeasy.net wrote:
> -->
> --> Has anybody succeded in making AR5.08 working under FC1? I
> --> downloaded the
> --> file from Adobe and installed several times, but it still
> --> won't work.
get a rpm whenever possible
google gives this
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/acroread/
you want the ones wih 'fc1' and 'i386' in filename

> Is there a reason you're not using xpdf (X PDF Viewer) or gpdf (GNOME PDF
> Viewer)?
adobe is simply much more comfortable to use. It has bookmarks, you can
read documents by pressing page-down and not miss anything (gnome pdf
moves an entire page, even if it doesn't fit into screen), printing
works as expected, rendering is faster.

This is an example where 'simple' proprietary applications are better
than open source ones, which usually don't have some basic features
(copy-paste working properly, or Search in nautilus text view).

A good example where OSS is better than proprietary at simple desktop
applications is gaim vs. yahoo messenger (which on linux sucks at
usability and features).

Unfortunately criticism like this, coming from regular end-users, is
usually not well received by OSS developers (ignored or "do it
yourself")

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania