help configuring spam assassin

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Jan 22 21:14:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 12:42, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Am Do, den 22.01.2004 schrieb Stephen Walton um 20:43:
> > I realize
> > that the Mozilla tools work at the individual user level and not at the
> > server level, which was the original question.
>
> Spamassain does too: spamassassin = user app.

Thanks for your help, and I know there are always lots of ways to do a
task in Linux, one of its strengths.  But my posting was unclear.  Here,
all of us read our e-mail while connected to the campus IMAP server, and
our mail remains on the server.  So none of the suggestions here work
for us;  our e-mail never goes through procmail (or whatever) on our FC1
systems.  I'd agree that the ideal situation would be for our campus IT
folks to install a spam filter on the IMAP server itself, but they're
understaffed and overworked, and this just isn't high on their list.

This is another entire discussion, but IMHO downloading all your e-mail
from an IMAP server to a local folder so procmail can handle it defeats
90% of the advantages of IMAP over POP, so don't bother suggesting it.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge