samba file server slow

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 22 21:29:35 UTC 2004

Jonathan Christison wrote:
> thanks for every one's help last time about this but its still slow... i
> followed every ones advise and no change its still runs at 5mega bytes
> per second over a 100 mega bits per second hub
> then i realised when i was swaping files about on my fedora pc up stairs
> on gkrellm the server is using rx not tx but yet there is a small amount
> of tx packets flyin round my network.
> do i need to configure my network card to use TX-100base some how ?
> thanks for yore help again
>
> - Jonny

Don't confuse megabits and megabytes.  You state both in the above.

Look at <http://www.aplawrence.com/Words/2003_09_19.html> for a simple
description.

5megabytes * 8bits-per-byte = 40megabits.

 From your description you are transfering about 40megabits of data
per second which is close to the maximum of some harddrives.  I would
say that your network card is working at 100Mbits per second.  You may
be running into hardware limitations as well.

There is overhead in working on a 100Base-TX network that will use up
extra bandwidth so a 10meg file may actually use 12meg of bandwidth.

I have used a program called Netpipe to test network speeds.  I havn't
seen an rpm for it yet.

--
Robin Laing