performance tuning -- application start-up time

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 22 23:17:13 UTC 2004

Hi,

I just installed Fedora Core 1 on a system with an
Athlon XP 2500+ on an ASUS A7V600 motherboard, with
512 MB PC3200 400MHz RAM, and Maxtor 120G
A133/7200RPM hard disk.

I followed some hints on here:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-December/msg02148.html
to get the ethernet recognized and network working.

The only problem I have now is that it takes a noticeably long
time for applications to start up, and I'm not talking about
apps like OpenOffice.  For example, it takes about 8 seconds
for konsole or terminal to startup.  Once the apps start-up they
are as responsive as I'd expect.

I searched the list, and I've seen a lot of comments that getting
RPMs built on Athlons doesn't getting the execution speed much,
but could they help the start-up times?  I'd just go ahead and check
myself, but I can't seem to find anywhere where I can find such
rpms for Fedora.  Must I roll my own?

On another Athlon XP 2500, but on an ASUS A7V8X motherboard
and again with 512 MB RAM (PC2700 333 MHz) and a Maxtor
(80G A133/7200RPM), the application start-up times are very
impressive.  Since the only major difference between the systems
is the motherboard (the video cards are the same also), could the
motherboard possibly be the reason?

Also, on two intels, and old athlon 1200, again Fedora shines.

Thanks for any input.