RWyse60 Terminal Interface

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jan 23 01:37:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:24:57AM -0600, Greg Ennis wrote:

> [...]
> > _bounty_ to get the thing written.  If X is available (even if it
> > doesn't have a graphical login) you can telnet there and run xterm or
> > whatever they run natively on it...it's wasteful and intended for
> > in-house only, but it does a really good job.
>
> why do you specifically need Wy60, is it because of a broken App that
> was (stupidly) hard-coded to wy60 ONLY ?? Or is it just because wy60
> is what has been traditionally used? What if you copy the terminfo entry
> for a "linux" term to the destination system and install it (linux, or
> xterm, or whatever your local term type really is)?
>
> >     If you're connecting from Win9x, Rassmussen Software has something
> > nice...but I forget the name. (Haven't seen it in 3 years!)  Google
> > should find it for ya.
>
> If you're connecting from Windoze, you could take a look at K95
> (Kermit 95) which runs on all Win32 systems and provides a long list of
> terminal emulations, including, as far as I recall, Wyse 60, SCOANSI,
> Linux, etc., etc.
> >
> >     There is no SSH for SCO...people far better than I have tried, and
> > those people have left, cussing.  I don't know what makes it so hard,
> > but...no.
> >
> >     Drop me a line if this helps.
> > --
>
> Dear Fred and Brian,
>
> Thanks for your responses!
>
> I guess I should not be surprised by your deductions. You got both of them
> correct! :)
>
> The software I am trying to update has been used on character terminals for
> long time.  Fortunately this software has its own system of terminal drivers
> so we can really use any terminal by writing an appropriate terminal driver.
> The most frequently used terminals have been Wyse60 or VT100's.  And you are
> correct again it is on a SCO box as well.
>
> Tiny Term has a product for Windows systems that works very well, and we
> have it in use currently.  However, we are looking at the option of
> replacing the Windows systems with Linux, and having proper terminal drivers
> for this software is on the critical path of this conversion.
>
> What I would like to do is to use Linux as a desktop unit to replace some of
> the Wyse60 terminals.  I would like to be able use either the gnome or kde
> gui interface with a gnome-terminal window or a kde-konsole window opened
> and telneted into the SCO server.  This would obviously allow several
> terminal windows opened at the same time which would be a benefit in using
> the software on the SCO box.  I don't really need to ssh into the SCO box
> because it is already protected from the internet behind some Linux muscle,
> but I do need to be able to have the ability to control the screen features
> of the window that is open.  Tiny Term does have a product with a Wyse60
> interface for Linux systems but it does not allow 'on the fly' programming
> of the special function keys, and has some other hard coded problems that
> can not be fixed by changing parameter files.

I'm not really familiar with commercial terminal-emulation "solutions"
(gads, how I  hate that word!) for Linux, so I won't be able to help
there. If the tinyterm product is not suitable, you seem to be left with
two choices (or maybe three): 1) suffer with tinyterm or keep looking
for another product, 2) create the necessary terminal descriptions in
the product's proprietary terminal description format, or 3) pick up an
existing open-source terminal program and modify it to provide the
capabilities you need (minicom, for example).

Of the three, i'd venture to guess that #2 may be the least painful in
the long run. #1 will cost bucks and have continuing frustrations since
it isn't going to really give you what you want, #3 is a lot of work
you're bringing upon yourself.

so, for #2, you probably only need to add support for "xterm" and maybe
"linux". xterm is suitable for both kde and gnome terminals I believe,
and linux is for the textmode console.

At work I occasionally use a kde terminal window (xterm) to log in to an
SCO box and run a full-screen app with its own terminal database, and
I tell the app that I'm a vt100. It seems to work fine for the limited
set of things I do with it. But I'm not depending on any of the function
keys to behave in any particular manner.

Out of sheer nosiness, what is the app you're working with, if it's not
a secret?

> Any suggestions you can give me to accomplish this would be appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Greg

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.