bash: any way to reuse the last output?

Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto hlen at ig.com.br
Fri Jan 23 13:58:34 UTC 2004

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Not to mention that it would make the shell significantly less
> efficient: consider a program whose output is huge.  You surely don't
> want this to be kept in memory (or even on disk) if it's not to be
> used afterwards.  Just collecting all this output would waste a lot of
> CPU.  There's this rule about optimizing for the common case.  Common
> case is to output to the output terminal and be done with it.

Yes, I am aware that this probably shouldn't be a default feature, since
bash is already considered "too big and too slow". But, nevertheless, I
would like to try it.. I don't think I would mind the CPU waste, and
huge outputs like that, to produce those kinds of "not wanting", are
kind of rare.

> If you need its output, just run it again.
>
> Now, if you really want to be able to take the output of some random
> program you ran and feed that into another program, there are ways
> to do that.  Start GNU screen, or a shell within GNU Emacs, or just
> use some terminal program with a configurable scrollback buffer and,
> whenever you need the output of some other program, you can scroll
> back and cut&paste the output into the input of another program.  No
> need to build such abilities into the shell.

That wouldn't come close to "grep whatever $__".. :)

Thanks a lot, good stuff
--
Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto