bash: any way to reuse the last output?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Fri Jan 23 14:43:04 UTC 2004

On Friday 23 January 2004 00:46, Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto wrote:
> Mike Klinke wrote:
> > saveit find ....
> > saveit grep ....
>
> Then I would have to type saveit everytime.. thanks for all your
> effort,

my pleasure, it's an interesting request.

> but I'll be more exact as to what I really want: use bash
> just the way I always have, and when the _unexpected_ wish to
> manipulate the last output gets me by surprise, I will do, for
> instance: (say, with grep)
>
> grep whatever $__
>
> There.. wouldn't it be nice? :)

I'm pretty sure bash doesn't have this capability but there are
several other shells that are commonly used. Since this seems a
resonable function for a shell to provide, in a limited fashion, it
may be that another shell already has this capability?

Regards,  Mike Klinke