Up2date

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Fri Jan 23 14:54:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:31, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 23.01.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 13:15:
> > On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:08, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > > I have tried lots of mirrors and it just hangs.
> > > Ok first it says its Redhat update agent is building a list of pakages
> > > it the says fetching packages.
> > > But it stops there and nothing hapens not even after an hour and a half.
> > > What could the problem be.
> > > I have treid mirrors in USA west, east south africa [my current
> > > location] and [when you push the send key on your keyboard by mistake
> > you have to finish the mail with half greyed]
> > any way lots the bottom line is when I downloaded open office my
> > connection was sitting solidly at 32kb/s but when I run up2date the
> > connection is only giving 6k/s.
> > I am using gkrellm to monitor.
> > I have plenty cpu time and mem free and the eth0 just sits virtually
> > dormant, almost as if nothing was happening
> >
> > mmm any ideas
>
> Using wget to download from http sources works perfectly? So you can
> eliminate your firewall as a cause for the low rates?
>
> What did you ment with "I have set up authentication" in your original
> posting?

Well I have a simple firewall setup on my box but our whole company is
behind a firwall (proxy) where we need authentication,
if you right click the up2date applet and select configure in the wizard
you get the option to set up your proxy with authentication.

This I have done and it works because if you hold your mouse a little
dialog appears saying 42 Updates available (0) ignored.

I then run up2date it starts perfectly the hand on processing headers,
I left it for two hours this afternoon and it the process indicator
hasn't even started.

Starnge thats all I can say.

I actually did a test and browse the mirrors to the core/1/i386 dirs and
they respond just fine no speed probs there.