keyboardless, headless suggestion

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Fri Jan 23 17:59:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 04:39, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I am interested in purchasing some cheap PC (e.g., wal-mart special) to use
> for a server.  Is there anything special I would need to do to boot up
> Fedora on such a device,

In addition to all the other excellent suggestions and comments, I
personally found that my headless server (Tyan S2469 mobo) will not go
into BIOS setup unless you have an attached keyboard on which you can
hit F2.  Once you've done that, though, you can set up the BIOS output
and all interaction to happen via the serial port.  I'm using an ancient
Win95 IBM Thinkpad and terminal emulator as a system console.

You might want to check that the system you're buying can support this,
unless you're willing to simply lug a monitor in and hook it up when you
need to change BIOS settings.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge