mplayer install problem in FC1

Ko Pu ko_pu at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 21:28:36 UTC 2004

I have FC1, Firebird 0.7 & thunderbird 0.4 installed in my AMD Athlon XP
machine. I've installed mplayer according to instructions provided on this
website: http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/linux/mplayer-rpms/mplayer.html

I downloaded the following files and used rpm to install them (I made
changes to commands showed on the webpage to reflect the actual files that I
downlaoded):
lame-3.95.1-1.fr.i386.rpm
mencoder-1.0pre3-1.i386.rpm
mplayer-codecs-extralite-1.0-1.i386.rpm
mplayer-common-1.0pre3-1.i386.rpm
mplayer-gui-1.0pre3-1.i386.rpm
mplayer-skin-default-1.0-2.noarch.rpm
mplayer-vidix-1.0pre3-1.i386.rpm
mplayer-vidix-radeon-1.0pre3-1.i386.rpm

I didn't get any error during install, but when I tried to test the player,
I got the following erro:

[root at d209-121-129-174 mplayer]# gmplayer test.mov
MPlayer 1.0pre3-RPM-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP/XP-M Barton 1938 MHz (Family: 6,
Stepping: 0)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled with Runtime CPU Detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection.
Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Reading config file /root/.mplayer/config
[cfg] read config file: /root/.mplayer/gui.conf
Reading config file /root/.mplayer/gui.conf: No such file or directory
vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Disabling DPMS
Reading /root/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/root/.mplayer/codecs.conf':
No such file or directory
Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 61 audio & 169 video codecs
font: can't open file: /root/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
Can't open input config file /root/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or
directory
Input config file /etc/mplayer/input.conf parsed: 53 binds

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't
and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible
bug.

- What was my mistake?
- I only installed the gui one, not the command line one, do I need it?
- the default skin version was older one 1.0-2, and the sample code was
1.6-3, does it matter?
- in my $HOM#/.mplayer folder, I have only one config file, I don't have any
other file (gui.conf, codec.conf, etc.), do I have to create them manually?

Thanks in advance for your comment/suggestion

Ko Fei Pu
mailto:ko_pu at nospamhotmail.com