XFree86 error

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Jan 24 01:37:14 UTC 2004

Jeremiah McElroy wrote:

>I just installed Fedora Core 1 as a clean install.  When I try to start X using the PowerVR drivers for my graphics card (which I downloaded and installed), I see the following error in my XFree86.0.log file:
>
>(++) using VT number 7
>

>Fatal server error:
>xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Input/output error)
>
>I have never seen this problem in the past.  I used to run Red Hat 9.0 and I also built the drivers by hand.  I have attached my XF86Config file in case that is needed.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeremiah McElroy

I had the same problem yesterday.. A machine that I had installed three
days earlier simply started to have this error.. To make a long story
short , I checked the device permissions , so it would match the
permissions of the other ttys and reconfigured X... After some fight it
worked fine...

Pedro Macedo