multi cpu machines

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jan 24 07:48:06 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 24.01.2004 schrieb don um 08:14:
> fedora-tester said:
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to limit user's application from
> > running on a particular cpu on an smp system?
>
> If you can do that, it isn't SYMETRIC-multi-processing.... ;-)

No, as far as I know the symmetric in SMP does not imply that an
application has to run on both (or all) CPUs the same time. Symmetric
just means the system's CPUs are sharing same RAM and address lines and
this way they can't be run absolutely independent but have to inform
each other about their actual state.

Threaded tasks can be divided to run on all CPUs, so this is one
scenario from which an application on SMP gains it's boost. But there
are a lot of applications using just one CPU at time and you will only
gain improvement towards single CPU system if you run a further
application at the same time which uses the other CPU.

I do not know an answer to the original question, but on Windows[tm] NT
based systems you can choose on which CPU an application should run.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999