compiled kernel - modules mess (was:kernel doesn't compile?)

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano_brunetti at idg.it
Sun Jan 25 13:02:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 17:29, Andre Costa wrote:
> [...]
> > - the system i am using right now runs a custom kernel and now
> > apprently works well, after a manual mkinitrd command;
> >
> > - another system where i did the very same things is not working yet.
> > Still failing to generate the correct initrd. Apparently there is no
> > /lib/modules tree on that system. Strange, isn't it?
> >
> > Any idea on how to proceed now with the missing /lib/modules thing?
>
> You can try to reinstall the pre-compiled kernel (or install a new one);
> anyway, this wouldn't explain why modules haven't been installed on the
> 1st place.

Well, this is weird indeed.

Here it goes:

- at job i run a custom kernel, i had to manually mkinitrd (thanks to a
clean and extremely helpful - to me! - post here on the list) and looks
to be working fine. Still some mess in loading modules on startup, but i
guess it has to do with some 'hurry' of mine in configuring.

- LABEL is fully supported with RAM disk as you suggested (hitn: put it
somewhere on a FAQ! :) )

- at home, no way. Still fails to mkinitrd, and can't build a initrd
image manually. System complains that it can't find aic7xxx module.
However, modulues seem to be there in /lib/modules, and it is definitely
a major problem as this is a pure SCSI box.

I am trying one last time, compiling aic7xxx support as a module. Then
i'll try *again* to erase and reinstall kernel source from rpm. After
this, i'd be kinda lost.

Need help. :)

Thanks to everybody, at least now FC1 rpm kernels compile. ;)

E.