problem with acroread

listas at lozano.eti.br listas at lozano.eti.br
Sun Jan 25 15:59:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > > Well, what I used to do to get around this:
> > > export LANG="C"
> > > Then run acroread.
> >
> > Thanks a bundle! It works!! Do you (or anyone) know how I can get
> > this to work automatically?
>
> Type 'which acroread' and edit that file (it is actually a script)
> put the export line after the first line of the script.

This questions apears over and over on this list. It should be a FAQ - and
people should learn to search the archives before asking again :-)

But I have to note that this solution works only for english-speaking people.
When you use LANG=C you loose all regional settings, translations and ability
to use accented characters. The correct solution to to see what's your original
LANG value is, for example:

$ echo $LANG
pt_BR.UTF-8

And then change jut the part *after* the dot to "ISO8859-1". This way acrobat
(and other non-Unicode enabled software) works as they did on older releases of
Red Hat, and you don't loose your regional settings.

So, in my setup the solution would be:

$ export LANG=pt_BR.ISO8859-1

[]s, Fernando Lozano