production server

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Sun Jan 25 19:21:23 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 18:24, Asad Javid wrote:
> im planning to purchase a new dell server with 80x5 scsi harddisk and 2
> gb of ram. i am planning to install qmail+antivirus+antispam etc. can
> somebody suggest whether fedora will do fine with this or whether RHEL
> ES  has to be installed. what performance difference does RHEL ES has
> over fedora (apart from cost issues:) )

I have little experience with RHEL ES, but I've played with it during
the Beta. I think RHEL is geared towards customers who run on big iron
and have the need for commercial support contracts. Is this your case?
Do you need 24x7 support, or you can get along with community support?

Other than commercial support and high performance hardware (have you
read about the latest TPC-C benchmarks result with Oracle 10g and RHEL
on HP hardware?), Fedora can do anything you can imagine, let it be
antivirus, mail...