performance tuning -- application start-up time

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 25 20:25:51 UTC 2004

On January 22, 2004 09:58 pm, David L Norris wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 18:17, Fred Nastos wrote:
> > The only problem I have now is that it takes a noticeably long
> > time for applications to start up, and I'm not talking about
> > apps like OpenOffice.  For example, it takes about 8 seconds
> > for konsole or terminal to startup.  Once the apps start-up they
> > are as responsive as I'd expect.
>
> Make sure your /etc/hosts file has both the eth0 IP address with real
> hostname and 127.0.0.1 localhost.  Sounds like maybe it can't determine
> its hostname.  GNOME will warn of this condition at login but KDE may
> not.  You'll see all kinds of weirdness if that's the case.

I tried logging in via GNOME, but I saw no such message.  KDE also
doesn't give a message.

I just added the real hostname, so that now my /etc/hosts file has two lines:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
the_real_ip_address   fully_qualified_machine_name      machine_name

Nothing really changed.  So I tried running the prelinker as suggested in:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg05131.html

That also didn't seem to immediately help.  But after about two minutes
everything started launching much more quickly (terminals in under a
second, mozilla in less than two, etc...)!!

Now, I just have to figure out why ssh is so slow.  I had first attributed it
to the same source as the above problem, but now that that is fixed, it is
still taking a long time to connect to other machines.

Thanks (especially to D. Norris and P. Macedo)