2Wire Homeportal USB

John sephtin at techgodz.com
Sun Jan 25 20:28:31 UTC 2004

Nicholas Evans wrote:

> Hello,
>    I've just bought myself a new computer, and in attempt to avoid
> buying a 40$ ethernet switch, attempted to connect my computer to the
> internet via USB. I'm using a 2Wire Homeportal as a router/modem, with
> the USB connection, and I can't seem to get it to work. I've spent
> about an hour digging through google, but to no avail. So, I was
> wondering if anyone here had pulled this off? And how? Thanks in advance!
> Regards,
> Nicholas Evans

Hi Nicholas.
If you really want to go with USB, I can't help you. (sorry)...  I know
it's possible to get USB DSB/Cable modems (etc.) working with linux, but
I don't know where to look

However... You did mention that you wanted to avoid spending $40 on a
switch.  I may be able to help there..
www.pricewatch.com is your friend.
Here's a page listing 4port switches.  Notice the first one on the list
is ~14$ (including shipping):  http://www.pricewatch.com/1/7/1505-1.htm
Might be worth looking around on www.pricewatch.com or
www.pricegrabber.com a little.. ?

Enjoy,