production server

Mike Watson mikew at crucis.net
Sun Jan 25 20:54:27 UTC 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 11:24 am, Asad Javid wrote:
> im planning to purchase a new dell server with 80x5 scsi harddisk and 2
> gb of ram. i am planning to install qmail+antivirus+antispam etc. can
> somebody suggest whether fedora will do fine with this or whether RHEL
> ES  has to be installed. what performance difference does RHEL ES has
> over fedora (apart from cost issues:) )
> --
> Regards,
>

> Asad Javid
> In Charge-IT Services Center
> Dubai University College
> Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry
> Tel (off) -2242472-628

As of a month ago (last time I checked) you can order Dell servers pre-loaded
with RH Enterprise Linux.  I doubt there is any inherent performance
difference between RHEL and Fedora.  RHEL is optimized for clustering and
performance.  You can do this too with Fedora, but you have to configure it
yourself and add the necessary supporting modules.

If you intend to use the Dell and Linux in a commercial endeavor, I'd suggest
you go with RHEL just for the support.

Mike W

--
Registered Linux - 256979   (http://counter.il.org for more information)
NRA Life

dangerous content by F-Prot and MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean.