Problems installing VMWare-Workstation-4.0 in Fedora Core 1

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jan 26 09:57:01 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 26.01.2004 schrieb Alberto Davila um 10:13:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install VMware-Workstation-4.0 in Fedora Core 1 but just
> got problems.. I am listing the log below. For info, I also tried the same installation with :
>
> export CC=gcc32
>
> but got the same problems.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you may offer, Alberto
>

> *********
>
> [root at tryps root]# /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
> Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped.
>
> Stopping VMware services:
>    Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
>
> Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.
>
> None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
> running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module
> for
> your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
> [yes]
>
> Unable to find the compiler specified in the CC environnment variable:
> "gcc32".

It is not enough to tell the compile process to use CC=gcc32 - you have
to install that gcc version before. Otherwise it certainly can't work!
So install the gcc32 package for FC1.

> Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.
>
> Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "3.2.3", while you are trying to
> use
> "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.2". This configuration is not recommended and
> VMwareWorkstation may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly
> same
> compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with
> compiler
> "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.2" anyway? [no] yes
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
>
> The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/bin/
>
> The path "/usr/bin" is an existing directory, but it does not contain at
> least
> one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected.

Do you have an compilation environment installed at all?

> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include/
>
> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.20) does not match your
> running
> kernel (version 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl).  Even if the module were to compile
> successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

You run kernel .2149 but you have the kernel sources of something else
installed. So install the kernel-source rpm of .2149 before trying to
build the vmware modules.

> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include
>
> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.20) does not match your
> running
> kernel (version 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl).  Even if the module were to compile
> successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Those messages are for reading! Why didn't you read them? They are very
clear for what the process is complaining.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 10:52:03 up 1 day, 18:30, load average: 0.08, 0.28, 0.22
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]