Soundcard sometimes works. Sometimes Not.

Jonathan DeSena jonathan.desena at jhuapl.edu
Mon Jan 26 17:21:41 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 20:14, Troy Campano wrote:
> 1) I'm running GNOME.
> 2) I'm not sure what audio output driver i'm using in XMMS, however it's
> *all* sound on the computer (including sounds from gaim and other apps)
> and not just XMMS.
> 3) Soundcard info:
> 	- Vendor: Intel Corp.
> 	- Model: 82801DB AC'97 Audio Controller
> 	- Module: I810_audio
> 4) When I have this problem I run "soundcard detection" under "system
> settings" and it doesn't play a sound their either. It does play a sound
> when the soundcard is working.

The i810_audio has given me problems to no end. I do not think the
drivers for this chip-set have ever been reliable. I have different
symptoms than you though.

I have used both ALSA and OSS drivers. Under FC1, the OSS drivers in
eventually cause the whole machine to lock up requiring a hard reset.
ALSA drivers do not lock the computer, but my sound gets jerky now and
then -- this gets so bad that it is unlistenable. Does not matter what
output driver the app uses: ALSA, OSS, esd, arts, etc.

When using the ALSA drivers, I get the following errors in
/var/log/messages, which you might look for:

	kernel: ALSA intel8x0.c:607: codec_read 0: read timeout for register
0x2c
	kernel: intel8x0: measured clock 80 rejected
	kernel: intel8x0: clocking to 48000

My recommendation is to stay AWAY from this chip-set if at all possible.
It has never worked right for me -- whereas my old ISA SB64 AWE Value
card has worked flawless. Unfortunately the i810 is built-in to my
laptop, otherwise I would have replaced it by now. If you have an
available PCI slot, get a different card. If you are looking for a
laptop to use with Linux, avoid models with the Intel i8x0 chip-set.

Still, it is possible the drivers may eventually get fixed.  Let's hope
so. (I guess I should help by at least putting a bug report in.)

Jon