Dual CPU System Question

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Mon Jan 26 20:47:04 UTC 2004

I have a dual-cpu system with Fedora Core 1 installed, running kernel
2.4.22-1.2149.nptlsmp.  The system has 2 2.0 GHz XEON processors, 2 GB
memory , yet the GUI seems rather unresponsive at times.

I noticed that /proc/cpuinfo yields:
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 15
model        : 2
model name    : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
stepping    : 4
cpu MHz        : 1993.959
cache size    : 512 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 2
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
runqueue    : 0

bogomips    : 3971.48

processor    : 1
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 15
model        : 2
model name    : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
stepping    : 4
cpu MHz        : 1993.959
cache size    : 512 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 2
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
runqueue    : 0

bogomips    : 3984.58

processor    : 2
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 15
model        : 2
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
stepping    : 7
cpu MHz        : 1993.959
cache size    : 512 KB
physical id    : 3
siblings    : 2
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 2
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
runqueue    : 2

bogomips    : 3984.58

processor    : 3
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 15
model        : 2
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
stepping    : 7
cpu MHz        : 1993.959
cache size    : 512 KB
physical id    : 3
siblings    : 2
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 2
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
runqueue    : 2

bogomips    : 3984.58

While I would love to have a 4-cpu system, I only have 2...
Why are there four processors listed [RH 9.0 lists 2]?  Could this be
the reason that the UI seems unresponsive?

When I say unresponsive, sometimes the mouse doesn't track smoothly,
window repainting is slow.  I recognize that the graphics card could be
to blame [its a G450 dual head card], but I don't see the same
unresponsiveness under 9.0.

Overall, I have run applications on the dual CPU system that are,
overall, outperformed by a 1.6 GHz laptop....

Thanks!