Configuring NETBIOS/Samba

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Jan 26 21:16:43 UTC 2004

Tom Taylor wrote:

> I'm using Fedora Core 1, dual booted with Windows XP, on a small house
> network (5-6 PCs). The router, a Linksys 4 port is managing DHCP, and
> we're all on Class C.
> I'm trying to get Fedora to share folders with the Windows machines,
> as well as just interact via hostnames. If I type 'ping windowsbox',
> it cannot find the IP in Fedora, whereas it will find it easily in XP.
> Presumably this is due to some sort of NETBIOS DNS lookup.

It's a netbios name lookup... instead of using dns , m$ decided that a
broadcast was better than using dns to resolve local names... If memory
serves me well , there's a daemon called Lisa that tries to do the same
thing....

> I have configured the workgroup in Samba, and the hostname of the
> machine is 'tom'.
>
> So, what do I need to configure to allow my fedora box to see my
> windows machines through DNS? I should also mention that they change
> IPs regularly, so keeping the whole network static and using
> /etc/hosts is not an option.

As mentioned by Roger, you can setup your box to run a dhcp server and a
dns server... But , as it is a dual boot machine , I dont recommend
that, because if you were on windows xp , the other machines wont get a
ip and will be unable to resolve names (unless you configure two or
three dns servers on /etc/resolv.conf or in windows), unless you
configure a dns and dhcp server on windows also...

Pedro Macedo