New problem with wine

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Jan 26 22:47:44 UTC 2004

David L Norris wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 13:49, Guy Fraser wrote:
>

>>This is what I get when I try to run one of my windows apps:
>>err:virtual:map_image Standard load address for a Win32 program
>>(0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?
>>

>How do I get Wine to work:
>  http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#Wine
>
>I've found that some programs work fine under Wine.  However, some do
>not.  If you need to run a bunch of Windows programs then you may have
>to disable the security features.
>
>This also appears to be true for programs like Xine which load Windows
>DLLs.  For example, Xine will segfault 9 out of 10 times trying to load
>Microsoft's wmv codec DLL.
>
>Disabling exec shield seems to work in some cases (e.g. with Xine):
>  echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

Thank you

After getting you message I searched and found some additional information.

1) prelink -a -u

2) Modify 'PRELINK_OPTS' in '/etc/sysconfig/prelink' to be :
        PRELINK_OPTS="-m --no-exec-shield"

3) prelink -a -m --no-exec-shield

4) reboot

Now wine works again. :-)

I don't know if prelink is working, but nothing seems to be loading or
working more slowly.

--
Guy Fraser